Thursday

Pictographic Divider

a complex handshake

My brother, distant from me and visa versa for many years now with his two children and future wife to be, according to what I have been told, came to visit, a short stay, but a stay just the same. I was in the room where I slumber when they entered the house and made sure I took the time to meet each one, extending my hand and looking at my brother first, nephews second and brother's fiancee last, welcoming her to Texas as I welcomed the two boys and my brother, with conviction and sincerity, an introduction that was long over due, not planned for but needed in order for me to forgive, move forward and continue with what is left of my journey.

I was invited to partake in their dinner arrangement as they were walking out the door, something I declined as my work had been finished, me making the first move, not to claim victory or settle a score, but to show maturity and a warmth that has been missing for years and for reasons I can no longer remember other than the closeness one normally or sometimes sees between brothers was not there as our differences were many and never did either of us take the time to get to know one another on a surface level or past, at any point while growing up or as adults.

The distance that formed years ago continued to grow like a cancer out of control until one day it was simply too late and a phone call was out of the question, a hello unwarranted and those around us always wonder what happened as I do and am sure my brother does too...today, yesterday and tomorrow.
link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home