Thursday

Pictographic Divider

basketball 101

The fact that I was unable to see the Mavericks play the Lakers on Tuesday was bothersome. The way it all came into fruition is what continues to hurt. The tickets were asked for, bought and paid for well over a month ago and as of Tuesday morning, everything was set. We were leaving for the game around 6:00pm for a 7:30pm tip off, me excited, as I never have been to an NBA game.

The weather was horrific. The lightning cracked and the thunder rumbled and the rain blew in every direction that the eye could see. Flash flood warnings were posted for outlying areas and most of this took place throughout the day with brief periods of let up, but only brief periods. Fools were out on the roads and for a brief second or longer I even felt sorry for the mail carriers. However, by mid afternoon the weather had subsided some, the game was not postponed nor canceled and I was most definitely looking forward to seeing the likes of Koby Bryant and Jason Kidd from close range.

The only difference between what we had in Texas and a tropical storm in Florida was the temperature had plummeted 40 degrees or so from Monday. But we were to be inside, had plenty of time to get to the game and there was no need to panic. Unfortunately, around 4:30pm, I received a text message saying he who I asked could not go to the game as he had chills and was staying in bed. I text back that I hoped he felt better and was sorry he was unable to make the game.

I was stuck with two tickets and was forced to call the rightful owner to find someone to give them to, as I knew not another to ask on such short notice. The tickets were given and to a huge Lakers fan as well, so the smile on his face when he came to pick them up made me feel good inside.

But the fact that I did not receive a phone call, but a text bothered me and continues to bother me as I knew my friend was not a basketball fan and something in my gut told me the story I was told was just that, a story.

I have one more chance to see a game, the final home game of the season and I guard the tickets with my life, hoping I can find someone between now and then that has a little more passion for the sport, the weather cooperates, birds chirp to a rising sun and excitement to see an NBA game once again fills the air I breathe.
link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home