Tuesday

Pictographic Divider

hawaiian punch

My health aide came today like he has all others for at least the preceding sixty three, give or take a few times when I have taken a break or just not felt like dealing with me. Today I shared with him a zucchini cake I had made from scratch with extra cream cheese frosting and slightly more than half a box of raisins and pecan halves I stomped into pieces myself.

I sent him toward the refrigerator for a drink but offered him nothing and he looked at me as he always does, wanting me to wait on him which I have told him over and over and even again that my responsibility is my wellness, his responsibility is to assist me and the job descriptions are quite clear.

Today the look did not bother me as it has in the past and he did not whine as he has in the past at my refusal to wait on him for today I was ready with a Hawaiian Punch, not literally, but the beverage and there was not one but a case that were purchased just for him and his enjoyment.

And he glared at me with a smile and honor, baffled of sorts that I remembered our first meeting when I asked him, as a conversation filler, what he liked to drink and aside from the rootbeer he drank as a child sixty years ago he liked an occasional Hawaiian Punch which he did not purchase too often because of the price issue. So this weekend I remembered and told my mother the story and Hawaiian Punch was purchased as a subtle thank you from me and my family for that matter, a symbol that he belongs and his caring for me is important and most definitely appreciated today as it will be tomorrow and as many tomorrows as I am allowed.
link

1 Comments:

Blogger kj said...

hi eric, just reading your last 2 blogs. your aide sounds a bit high maintenance. i assume he is attentive and kind?

i wonder where you are at physically. what happened to the calif. trip?--too taxing?

i can offer some observations and experiences shared with me by a friend who has served as a hospice guide many dozen times, if ever you would like.

thanks alot for your kind words and support on my blog. i really do try to be brave.

kj

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home