Monday

Pictographic Divider

religion, another's form of closure

When I was finally told by a team of physicians that I was terminally ill, I felt nothingness. I did not cry, but listened intently all while I know that my mind had already begun the process of compartmentalizing. Each fragment had its place as did every analogy, oxymoron, simile, metaphor...

I never planned it, the compartmentalizing. It happened and possibly it was my way, the only way, that kept me from falling over and realising the impact, the life changing everything that had already begun as soon as I heard the word T E R M I N A L.

I bring this up only because I had a compartment for my spirituality and a place for religion, just never one for every other's faith, viewpoint and the numerous thoughts and literature I have been handed showing me the way. Me knowing so long ago it was not MY way, it was their way. A way that brought them some type of understanding under their G-D that I would be a part of the afterlife.

So today, when more literature and another article 'showing me the way' was placed in the mailbox, addressed personally to me and notes adorning several pages, highlighting their comments and their for seen importance of what I was reading, I stopped.

I thought for a moment over a cigarette that this was their way of accepting my death, and their own mortality. It is an unspoken but obviously important rule that if my beliefs match the beliefs of the, on this occasion I am betting on a Fundamentalist Christian providing me the information, then they personally can rest and find peace at a time when instead of forwarding religious jargon that has its place with my bleeding stomach lining (sender still a mystery)...

...I would much rather sit down with a cup of green tea and a chocolate brownie, pop a couple Narco's and a Marinol and talk about how shitty some of this life 'stuff' can actually be.
link

1 Comments:

Blogger LeeAnn said...

Scott, I am just a stranger. An old woman, who wishes I could sit down and talk over that green tea. (Though I prefer Earl Gray) I'm not sure why I'm writing to you. I would never preach to you or even offer advice. My own condition is not terminal. Not with any kind of timeline. But, I have lived many years with what was described as a "Time Bomb" in my head. I have survived one brain aneurysm and know I could suffer another at any moment....or not. There is constant pain. I stumbled on your blog, and have followed it ever since. The only thing I could offer in any conversation with you, would be a minor bit of understanding. I know sympathy is no help. I know platitudes are an annoyance. But, just maybe you will be ok with accepting my prayers... whether you believe or not. I am praying for you. Not for your life....I think there are worse things then dying. I pray for your pain. That I do understand. Though I don't pretend my own matches yours. Someday, I (you don't have to agree or believe, leave that to me) know we can have that conversation without pain and in perfect peace. Meanwhile, HUGS. Forgive this old woman if you find this offensive.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home