Thursday

Pictographic Divider

I wanted to take a minute to let you know how much your blog has touched me. I know this sounds weird, but I wish that I could be the friend that is there for you.

Let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Amber and I am a grad student at Penn State. Last summer I was chosen by something larger than myself (God/the universe/what ever you want to call it) to donate my bone marrow to a 16-year-old girl with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. I was honored and at the same time saddened for the poor girl and her family. I felt compelled to find out as much as I could about what other patients in her position go through. I found a myriad of sites on the web chronicling peoples battles with cancer and other serious illnesses. In the end, they are all healed though many find their healing in that 'higher plane.' I found so many joyful stories, and just as many sad. I am especially drawn to the sad, not because I have some deranged attraction to them, but because I feel that these people should not be forgotten and too many people are not willing to expose themselves to pain in any form. Most families express great grief at the time of a loved one's passing, but also find an inner peace and beauty at the end. I think that too many people are afraid of the pain and never get to see the deeper - well, I don't really think that there is a word for it. I have experienced it before at the death of my grandmother. We all knew it was coming and my mother and I sat vigil at her bedside. She showed the most strength I have ever seen. She rallied the day before and held my hand and tried to tell me something. I wish more than anything that I could have understood her. When she left us, I was overcome with sadness but felt a peace at my core that I never felt before. I know that, although she may have left her body, she is not gone.

You are by far one of the bravest souls I have had the privilege to get to know, on some superficial level at least. I promise that I will not forget you and I only wish that I had the pleasure of meeting you in this life.

Sending you much love!

Amber
link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home