Wednesday

Pictographic Divider

impressions

I used to believe that a social worker was a necessary evil for in the process of palliative care, the death with dignity philosophy of St. Michael's Hospice, until last week.

Last week I met Leslie, a social worker, new and not a Freudian slip like the other, working for St. Michaels and upon visiting me, I was not pressured to tell my predicament, one I have told one hundred times or none. I enjoyed telling it. Leslie was different and I was different with Leslie and almost as soon as she said hello and I reciprocated, or even visa versa for that matter, it was obvious to me that this was a bond, a relationship, not expected, but adored and accepted almost immediately. And as time has passed, a short amount of time, less than two weeks, our learning curve has been quite steep, our conversations full of compassion and active listening and WE have grown a deep respect and admiration for one another and even at this early stage we are able to vocalize how difficult it shall be when we are forced to say goodbye, as our paths part one final time. However, in the now, the sadness is evident in our actions. A hint is made between a bit of laughter here and a quiet moment there. Leslie has witnessed this path before and I, the novice, am living it and still teaching her as the learned spirit. And she too views me as a warrior and has accepted a place in the nameless tribe that used to be faceless, but now, continues to grow at a heartfelt rate and is beautiful.

And the next time I am asked why I can't smile and laugh and 'be lovey' with another as I am with Leslie I will once again nod my head with disgust for the asked question and wonder what agenda the asker has in mind. For it is rare, extremely rare, that one can bond with another so immediately, break down the walls of man-made emotion and just simply be human with all its fanfarre, trials and tribulations.

Eric is a warrior fighting the greatest and most challenging battle of his life! He is indeed an enigma, soft and gentle, firm and decisive, impatient and anxious, easy going and warm. Eric has blessed me with the privilege of knowing him and learning him as he fights this battle with grace and dignity. Thank you, Eric, for allowing me this privilege and know that you will always have a special place in my heart.
With Much Love,
Leslie
link

1 Comments:

Blogger Fox's Mom said...

Hey Eric, I'm glad to read that you and Leslie have found each other. So glad! Bianca

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home