Thursday

Pictographic Divider

carole and eric


Dear FAMILY AND FRIENDS,
Eric is now preparing to leave this world we know as he continues his journey on toward the light. The time is sad, but with honor and privilege I speak to and of my 'son' , true friend and confidant, just as loved as any I have. I reflect on how we, in our materialistic world, judge another person...Is it by the way he dresses, the length of his hair, his bank account scattered with red and black and a simple shade of green or is it by what is in his heart, love? In the final reflection and when each of us views God, he may ask us, 'How well have you cared for my children?'

Measure your value through God's eyes and not your own as there are times in all of our lives when we may appear desperate, homeless, disoriented, sick in mind, body and spirit, unable to help and too self absorbed and stubborn to love. In these instances it is important to remember that God loves us and we must TRAVEL LIGHT. And this lesson I learned from Eric. It was his gift to me, the most simple and the most complicated lesson of all, love all pure, all the time.

Eric had struggles throughout his life, some financial and those most devastating and undeserved, health related. However, what ever he possessed he was willing and did share with others in need or just want. It was never an issue with him as to who could re-pay, if it was needed and he had it, IT was yours. Money and precious time, his precious time, if you demanded it, wanted it and needed it, it was yours. Eric has the ability, and I know few if any, to leave this world better than he found it. Perhaps others too could understand the depth of his generosity at ANY cost, often his own demise. I did. I experienced it, witnessed it and watched it happen like a careful quilted pattern, repeated and repeated. And this is generosity at its finest hour and this is Eric and this hour is his, deservedly so, his.

Eric has always refused to 'surrender' as he tells me to his disease process and uses his creativity, a gift yearned for and awed as 'God's gifts' to maintain his hope, his dignity and his vision. In the words of Ernest Boyer, "For the most intimate, most profoundly moving universal experience, we created a subtle, more sensitive set of symbols- a higher language we call the arts-When words are no longer adequate, when our passion is greater than we are able to express in usual manner, people turn to art-Art is perhaps humanity's most essential, most universal language." Eric and art are synonymous and I will remember Eric The Artist fondly.

How many people do you know that are described as caring, patient, giving, kind, warm, creative, intelligent, wise, inspiring, athletic, witty, loyal, charming and loving at once? I know one, Eric. He is an excellent listener with broad shoulders to lean on and a loyal and trusted friend deeply concerned with the feelings of others. He is a ray of sunshine to those that know him well and for others to think different, shameful. He is a person of strength internally and externally toward others and the above form his character. And I witness joy when I hear and watch Eric give of himself to make a difference in the life of another.

Eric is fulfilling to God's standards, his purpose and path in life. Eric is a teacher of high order, one to be respected and listened to and I feel the significance of his presence. I am forever grateful for the kindness and love he shown my biological son, Stephen, before during and after he surrendered his spirit to God. No parent is ever equipped to deal with the loss of a child, but Eric softened the blow and help to fill that empty place in my heart, through his unending sympathy and hour of listening to my grief and sadness. And as I write today, Eric continues to teach me about enduring debilitating loss. And I am certain with out his guidance, I would not heal and now prepare myself for Eric's surrender, using his taught tools with confidence and a somewhat calming emotion as I remain numb.

So as you, my son, my Eric, prepare yourself for flight and a new journey toward the light I am confident YOU will learn why things have to be the way they are and you will wonder at the craziness and uselessness of worry, guilt and denial. God speed Eric, today and always and know you will forever remain in my heart, a part of my soul. We will meet again, of this I am positive.

I thank you for everything. I wish you only love and peace and more love.

Momma Carole
Carole A. Schramm
link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home