Sunday

Pictographic Divider

amount tendered, change rendered

I went to the dollar store, maybe the dollar general, I only know that everything in the store is one dollar, and some things are two and three for a dollar, but nothing over a dollar, period. And at first I found the concept hysterical and told my brother that the sole purpose of shopping in the dollar store is to ask the sales clerks how much something is, as I have done before, almost to received the look of 'don't do this to me on a Sunday afternoon, its a sin.'

So although I write about asking the clerks such a dumb question and have done it one time and one time only, I still find the time and the need to remind myself that everything is a dollar and that asking otherwise complicates a checkout process and allows you quickly to meet and greet the store manager.

While waiting in line, with my less than important items, but bargain items, the woman in front studies her soon to be purchases as I do, awaiting her turn and I notice that the clerk is so systematic in his checking one out, that the process itself appears abnormal. The resonance of amount tendered and change rendered did not sound right, too proper and too book taught, I believe.

As the woman put her items on the shelf and gave direction to the clerk, "I have four of these bottles", she placed one on the counter to be scanned and left the other three under the cart. The clerk stared at her and stopped, but said nothing. He looked down at the bottle, again toward her, at the register, over at me and back to the bottle and scanned it through, said the price, "one dollar" and waited for the woman to respond. Nothing, so he took the other two items before him and and placed them through his scanning, saying with affirmation,"one dollar, one dollar".

The total was 3.27 give or take several pennies on either direction when you properly calculate sales tax at 8.5%...She handed him a ten dollar bill which he rang as amount rendered, announced her ten dollar bill as amount tendered and put the difference back in her hands as change rendered. She accepted it and he stared at her, handing her the two bagged item and the bottle of water.

She placed them in her cart and he continued to stare as she pushed the cart past his vision with three waters still remaining in the cart, the one he handed her and the two items in the bag. She stood there, he looked, read her receipted, glanced up at him and smiled...paused for a moment and then rolled her cart toward the exit door. He watched and I knew he was counting the water, awaiting her return so that he could properly ring three more bottles of water, knowing that her inability to place the bottles on the counter fed his inability to comprehend ringing the same bottle four times. The logic was not there and she left with her change tendered, knowing that she received free water, obviously knowing, but continued walking through the parking lot, never to look back.
link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home